Monday, September 30, 2013

Hickory Smoked Wings (like Slick Pig's)

 
Oh.My.Word.  Hickory smoked wings.  There is this wing joint in Murfreesboro, TN called Slick Pig.  They are famous for their hickory smoked wings.  But of course their recipe is top secret.   Welp.. I just had to figure out how to make wings like these.  One little problem.. I know NOTHING about smoking.  First I searched for a smoker on Amazon and found this easy enough for a beginner smoker (Stovetop Smoker ) for $43.95 - so it didnt break my account.  This came with Hickory Wood Chips and Alder Wood Chips.. that was great because I would be needing the Hickory for this recipe.  I then set out to re-create that slick pig taste.  I did two test runs.  Both were good.  The second batch however, seemed closest.  The group of people who I tested them on (who have all had slick pig's) said the flavor was very close...but maybe better.  I'll bet Slick Pig doesn't use these ingredients (so I'm not claiming they do) ..maybe some of them.. but this is what I used to create the oh so popular flavor.  


To get your wings the shape you get them at a restaurant cut them in these spots.  Discarding the pointy end - forgive my lack of knowledge of the correct terms for chicken anatomy...  *Note: unless you have a meat cleaver or a very sharp knife, its easier to do this after they are cooked. *orrr you can just go the easier route and buy a bag of precut "chicken wing sections" :)


  
Marinate your wings in the fridge for 24 hours.


 
Get your smoker ready by adding Hickory wood chips to the bottom of your Stovetop Smoker .  Put your drip pan over that and your wire rack over that.  *Note - If you're using a different smoker.. do your wood chips according to instruction for your smoker.

 
Load up your smoker.


Place smoker on the grill or on your stove top at medium heat. Smoke for about an hour or your desired color of wing.. as long as they are done :)


Ingredients

Chicken Wings
1/2 cup Soy Sauce
3/4 cup Teriyaki Marinade
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
3 heaping tblspoons of Hoisin Sauce

Helpful items:
Smoker
Hickory wood chips
  
 
Directions

Combine the last four ingredients in a Gallon size freezer bag; Stir so Hoisin sauce is blended in.  Add the wings to the bag making sure they are coated well.  Put in the fridge to marinate for 24 hours.

Get your smoker* ready by putting about 2 1/2 tablespoons of Hickory woodchips in the bottom layer of the smoker.  Put the drip pan over those woodchips. Put the wire rack in the drip pan... I wrap the wire rack in aluminum foil for easier clean up. 

Load your wings onto the wire rack.  Put the lid on.  Place your smoker on your stove top or your BBQ grill at medium heat.  Smoke for 45 min to 1 hour.  This gives them a YUMMY smoke flavor.

To get a little crispyness I throw them directly on the grill for 1-2 minutes**.  Scrum-didly-umptios.

*Alternatively: if you dont want to use a smoker you may be able to cook these in the oven for 45 min to an hour putting it on broil for the last 10 min.  If you do it this way I would add liquid smoke flavor to the marinade because you will be missing the delicious smoke flavor from the smoker.. I have not tried an oven version yet.  But when I do I will update this recipe.

**If you don't have a grill.. you can toss the smoked wings into a frying pan with just a tad bit of oil for a couple minutes to get that bit of crispyness.


 
 
I found this book on amazon - its a smoking book for this particular smoker!  I havent ordered it .. but I just might.
 


1 comment:

  1. Amazing Post !!

    Thanks for sharing a informative information. I heartly like it...


    Keep up sharing information about delicious recipe ...

    Hickory Wood for Smoke Flavor

    ReplyDelete