I'll get better pictures next time. lol. lighting was awful.
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 Cups of Sugar
1 Stick of Butter
1/2 Cup of Shredded Coconut
1 Cup of finely chopped walnuts or pecans
5 Egg Whites (beat until stiff peaks)
5 Egg Yolks
1/2 Cup of Crisco
1 Cup of Buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon of baking soda
8 oz of Cream Cheese
1/2 Stick of butter for humid climates
1 teaspoon of buttermilk
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
8 oz of Powdered Sugar
*Note for Dryer Climates use 1 to 1.5 sticks of butter
PreparationPre-heat oven to 350 degrees. If your oven browns quickly then take it down 15 to 20 degrees. Grease and flour 3 round cake pans.
1. Cream butter with sugar and add vanilla.
2. Next add 5 separated egg yolks and 1/2 cup of crisco – mix and beat until fluffy.
3. In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients: Flour and the baking soda.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the mixture a little at a time alternating with the buttermilk (about 1/4 cup at a time).
5. Next mix in walnuts or pecans and coconut.
6. In another bowl beat the egg whites until you have stiff peaks.
7. With a spatula gently fold in your egg whites into the batter.
8. Spoon the batter into your 3 pans.
9. Bake until light brown and for about 30 to 60 minutes (use a toothpick in the center and make sure no batter is on the stick).
10. Once the cakes are done pull them out and let them cool.
11. Next Cream all of the ingredients together for the icing in this order: Cream Cheese, Butter, Buttermilk, Vanilla extract, and Powdered Sugar.
12. After the icing is mixed start to assemble the cake. Stick strips of parchment paper around the bottom of the cake. Ice the top of it and add the next layer of cake and ice the top of it adding your final layer of cake.
13. Now start to ice the sides and the top of the cake until covered. Use chopped walnuts or coconut to decorate the sides.
14. Refrigerate the cake until you are going to slice and serve!